This is ''The making off''. I will post the finished car in a new topic.
This 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner Hemi is slightly based on the one from ''Pure Vision''.
I am a real Mopar en Chevy fan, so this car is a must. This is one of the last real American muscle cars!
I built this car as I went. No instuctions what so ever. I took measurements from pictures. From there I calculated the demensions to the right scale. I only used LEGO parts. I only modified 3 pieces myself: 3 axles of 6: One of them needed to bee 5 and the other two needed to bee about 5.5 long, so I cut some off. All the lego is about 15 years old.
Suspension, chassis and wheels come from the 8880 supercar, but heavily modified. I only used some off the parts. I used different springs for example. I had te move the suspension arms 1/2 block (front and rear) to get the right gap in the wheel arches. This may seme like an easy job but I had to move differential and drivetrain also. All the axles and bushings had to be changed.I also needed to stiffen up everything. I had to make room for the engine so the original way was no option anymore (see pics below). Overall the chassy is now a full 14 blocks longer then the one from the 8880 supercar. By that you can see that the scale off the 8880 supercar is a bit off. (I beleve it seposed to be about 1/10 scale)
- About 1/8 scale.
- Working gearbox (4-speed).
- Working independant suspension front and rear.
- Adjustable ridehight.
- 'Working' Hemi V8 with Cross-ram inlet system.
- Opening doors, hood and trunk.
- Roll cage.
- Sport/race interior. (bucket seats and so on.)
- Realistic hood hinges.
Length: 86,5 bricks. (69 cm/27,17 inches).
With: 30 bricks. (24 cm/9.45 inches).
Time to construct: 75-80 hours.
- The Chassis. (exept stearing linkige)
- Dashboard and seats (front).
- Engine bay.
- Front end.
- Everything else now.
I wanted to make a good body first before doing anything else. If you built everything else then it's hard to change something later.
I took some of the car appart (it was only a shell). Also I changed the lines on the back slightly: I raised the rear end of the trunk 1/3 and lowered the frond en of the trunk 1/3. The angle of the trunk looks better now. It is not so much like a '70 Chevelle anymore. (The main foto is the original shell)
You can see a litle of the (working) 4-speed manual transmision.
Some foto's of the Hemi engine I built today!
I Took of the top of the body and started on the frond end of the car. I made it a bit stiffer and started the work on the engine bay.
The under-side of the front-end is finished. (Headlights came in today, so that is up next!)
The lifelike hood-hinges:
The sportseats are finished!
Look at the pedals!
Pictures of the rollcage I designed and added today:
Ass you can see here the rool cage also supports the roof: