So yeah, as you might recall from my last creation, I mentioned I had a larger project in the works. Well, here it is - what may be my largest MOC to date (at least, that I've posted) and my first large-scale Castle MOC. It was something of a learning experience; among other things, I learned that my collection of white pieces is really discolored, and that I really need to come up with a better setup for taking pictures.
A slightly crooked side-shot. As I mentioned before, I'm trying to stop mixing of gray and bley in my MOCs. I used both here, but I tried to coordinate them rather than just throw them in randomly.
This is pretty much the only picture where you can actually see the stained glass - a shame, since it was, once again, the most time-intensive part. I would have liked to make them three fences high like in the vignette, but piece shortages forced me to go with two.
Front. The windows in front were originally going to be stained glass as well, but after I spent a ridiculous amount of time searching for the pieces for the side windows, I scrubbed that plan. One of these days, I will get my collection organized properly and I will no longer have this problem.
I tried to emulate the snow technique used here, but I don't think I succeeded all that well. Still, it turned out all right I think.
Closeup of the tree, which is pretty much just the tree design from the MMV with the leaves removed. Nothing much to see here.
The back. This is probaly the part that I'm most unhappy with. Ideally, the window in the back would have been bigger, used red and blue pieces, and had a more elaborate design. Unfortunately, piece shortages stymied me once again, forcing me to use neon-green and orange, since they were the only colors I had in any abundance after making the side windows. You folks with access to Pick-a-Brick don't know how lucky you are.
Top shot, rather blurry since I had to hold the camera rather than use the tripod.
Closeup of the cobblestone path minus the minifigs. This is another part I'm not entirely happy with, but meh. Learning experience.
As I mentioned, the stained glass didn't show up very well in the other pictures, necessitating this picture. Once again, credit where it's due for the technique. Also, this is apparently the only closeup shot I took of the graveyard. I could have sworn I took more, but oh well.
Interior sans minifigs. I've expanded my red-brown plate collection a bit since my last MOC, as you can see.
Interior shot of the stained glass that turned out surprisingly well, considering my camera is usually atrocious at taking extreme closeups.
Finally, here's a throwaway shot I took while trying to figure out how to photograph the interior. I liked how it turned out, so here you go.
Nice job! It reminds me of my own attempt to build a church like this, but better in several ways. The interior looks really nice, although the outer walls look like they could use some detailing (as if I could criticize...). I especially like the belltower and the stained glass technique. The backlit photos really help.