Switchable 4WD vehicle with Twin-XL motorization and sleek design.
About this creation
This is the first Performance Vehicle series model I built, and it worked out quite well if I may say so myself... I finished this somewhen around end of May this year, and at the time I'm posting this, I actually finished the next model and have this one long taken apart... it takes me a long time to post stuff like that, as I'm a lazy writer ;)
The topdown view gives a good idea about the general built of the car: The concept is a race truck, or in other words, a race car that has a lot of power at it's disposal while probably not the fastest competitor. You can see I went for a concept that had the wheels sticking out of the mainframe, which isn't exactly what I planned when I started, but a design I really like... especially as it makes the car look immensely large.
You can also see the design features a few lines being drawn from the front to the very back, which is a lot clearer on the front view later on. Other than that, you should be able to make out what I meant to be the windshield, which looks rather cool in my opinion. I didn't started with the "tiny seat" idea that I ended up with, so the windshield actually drags itself across the whole vehicle. That admittedly makes no sense, however still looks cool... though I figure the driver has to rely on monitors to see what's up ahead... (I promise not to do stupid design errors like this in the future...)
The bottom view allows more for technical judgement than anything else, so let me go into detail on that. The basic idea is an all-wheel driven car (single drive axle) with detachable front wheel drive, which I perfectly managed to do. I also wanted to get all the heavy elements such as the motors and the battery pack in the very center of the vehicle, which also worked out and make for a perfect weight shift when turning. I started with a 4-speed transmission that later got replaced by a second XL-motor for that required extra bit of power.
A mentionable feature is the way I attached the front module to the main construction, which I did almost exclusively with the gray L-shaped parts you can see directly above and below the front drive clutch in the picture. It's a very unconventional building style that surprisingly worked, and it worked pretty well. I'm using a variation of that in my current model as well.
This picture awesomely illustrates the streamline concept I was hoping to end up with, and that I actually did with a lot of luck involved. The "tube" design might not be the most appealing in real-life car designs, but for a futuristic giant truck as this is supposed to be, I think it works out awesomely.
The front (and back) bumper actually are a lot more resistable than they appear to be, and the same applies for the wheels and suspension. Overall, it's a pretty well working-together design that while surely not everyone's favourite, still works out awesomely.
The rear view is quite an impressive sight, or so I think... it shows the awesome light construction I came up with, which is actually the two red tubes in the center that're illuminated from the outer end each (with a painted LED light from the Power Functions series). hey're permanently bent a little, which contributes to the overall shape of the bumpers (see the topdown view) and also makes more light go to the actual tube instead of getting lost the the other end, therefore combining looks with efficiency. I'm quite proud of this, and hope it gets copied lots. :)
Additionally, you can see the rear suspension in this shot that is really hard to see on the other screens. This is actually what the whole model started with, as I was going to recreate the rear suspension of a Pagani Zonda...
On a side note, the suspension on the spoiler is for looks only, it doesn't serve a functional design concept.
Last but not least, the 'maintenance' view... most of the panels are actually detachable from one of their mounts, allowing for a quick elease of them to get to whatever is underneath them. That allows for quick repairs or just sticking together loose parts, and in case of the driver's seat functions as a wing door.
I had a lot of luck on my side when constructing the hood mount as well... you should be able to see the two dark-gray liftarms right above the front suspensions - these actually fit in the holes of the hood panels and close it with a click, actually holding it in place. I would've never imagined to get such an effect, and I'm happy it worked out that way, as it's really cool.
All in all, I'm quite content with the outcome... it went comparatively slow for the amount of motors put into it (even though I didn't do much gearwork to slow it), however it has a lot of torque for climbing slopes or the like, so it fills it's purpose well. I had the most problems with the steering, which actually works way less efficient as I'd like it to, but I learned from it, which s why my current model features a completely different (and way better) approach.
I'd also like to mention that this is a 99% studless construction. The only studs I used were to hold the IR receiver in place, as that's really a bitch to mount without (however again, fixed in my new model). I also used a lot of modified parts, starting from cosmetical stuff such as painted LEDs or chrome rims, and going to length-adjusted axles or cut panels to fit the current plugs.
I'm glad for any feedback I get, so please don't hold back, even if it's just telling me you don't like the design or that I talk too much... ;)