Yeah, it's based on the Lego set, but I ripped off the wings and completely re-did them, making them longer, wider, and more screen-accurate. I also widened the main cargo hold by 2 studs on each side. I'm working on a nice boarding ramp and making the landing gear move further down, lifting the ship high enough to walk under.
About this creation
If anyone wants to make similar modifications to their Theta Shuttles, the following pictures should be sufficient to copy.
The expanded cargo hold. Working on making this more realistic with more chairs, maybe a galley and a bed etc.
The wing hinge mechanism was very difficult to design. The angle Lego has them at is a bit too horizontal according to reference photos. I first modified the angle so that they went down more, but this caused them to make an I I shape when in landing position instead of the nice A shape it should be. I finally ended up making a separate hinge that actually breaks a piece off, but catches the wing. You can see it in some of the following pictures.
Here's how far the wings go down without the extra hinge mechanism.
Extra wing hinge in landing mode.
Extra wing hinge in flying mode.
Here's the piece that breaks off the wing for flying mode, allowing it to extend that extra little bit.
Actually, I just widened my Shuttle by 4 studs, lengthened it by 6 studs, increased the upper wing length and height, recreated the engines and redesigned the wings to be longer and more accurate.
I thank you for your reply, but I no longer require your instructions and pictures. I thank you for my inspiration to up-scale my Shuttle.
Thanks a million.
Quoting Adam Galloway
Do you know why the instruction pictures don't show up? I recently got one off of Ebay and I'd like to modify mine like yours, but the pictures don't appear.
I'm not sure why they aren't displaying anymore, it was posted a long time ago, and MOC Pages may have lost some of their data in a server crash, who knows. If it helps, I also have a newer version of the same shuttle, built around the Lego set but with some major upgrades put into it. It has a lot of pictures and might help you in copying the design.
The main thing I did for this earlier version was to enlarge the main cabin area by putting in longer technic pieces to widen it, and more standard Lego bricks to lengthen it, then I filled in the gaps (since it's now larger) and made a longer reaching roof to keep it enclosed. I increased the size of the wings as well with a few slanted plates from bricklink, and then I installed a fragile mechanism that allows the wings to extend a little further down without altering the original wing hinge. I hope this helps a bit! If you want more pictures of the newer version I could post some if you request certain angles.