My most functional Technic model yet. It has working independent front suspension, headlights, rear suspension, steering and drive. It's also remote-controlled.
About this creation
This sat on a shelf for many months. The reason was that a single gear attached to the motor broke and I had no replacement. I didn't realize what the cause of a new strange clicking noise was and "fixed" the wrong area of the model, only to realize that I'd ruined the gear by putting too much stress on it.
Recently, my younger brother acquired a set with the part I needed in it. I snatched it as soon as he finished building the model and promptly attached it, only to find that it still didn't work. I needed to put less stress on the gear. So I built a new front end that weighed less (and looked better). It still wasn't enough. In order to remove even more weight, I removed the rear end along with the motor and all else and made a new one out of a Technic frame rather than bricks. It does weigh much less now and it is finally working perfectly, but the main reason for that is that I changed the gear ratio and am no longer using the gear that I waited so long for. Groan. But IT WORKS!
On to the rest of the model!
The front fascia. In it is the R/C receiver. It also holds the shocks and steering column in place. The headlights are in the 3-long Technic beams.
Here we have the suspension and the steering from the side. You can see the beam that connects the wheels to the steering rack, as well as the headlights.
The steering rack. Note the large white gear - it slips under pressure so the motor doesn't break.
The driver's seat. I hate the pile of wire ends as much as you do but couldn't fit it anywhere else. Sorry. The Power Functions motor that controls the steering is visible below the seat. My use of those wheel arch pieces for wrapping wires around worked well. Otherwise there would be wires flopping around everywhere. And since this isn't a couch/Lexus, it has a stick shift! Unfortunately, there was no room for a clutch pedal.
The battery box. Regarding the grey springs, I was forced to use two on each side instead of one yellow spring on each. I used my only two yellows in the front suspension where there was less space.
The motor and gears.
The rear bumper. I made those three slope pieces align nicely with the lip spoiler above.
Great functions and the styling is really neat, especially the rear of the vehicle. Great Work :-)
I like it
September 7, 2011
nice i used to race gokarts but we are selling them now i was one of the best on the track i always knew how to make a good finish i always passed on the last lap over the hill where nobody could see me ;) every time i did that the crowd loved it!