"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." - Neil Armstrong, 20th July 1969
About this creation
A historic day forever captured in brick. This is a model of the Lunar Module used in the Apollo 11 mission, the one where man first stepped foot on the moon (although between 1969-1972, six of these craft successfully landed on the moon). It features both the Ascent and Descent stages of the Module.
Here is a shot of the an adventurous astronaut, possibly Armstrong himself. I had to wait before posting this build, in order to let two retro spaceman minifigures I had bought from eBay to arrive. They were second hand, and weren't in the best condition - they were a bit grubby and the planet on the logos had faded badly. So I cleaned them and touched up the logos with gold paint. Unfortunately this one got a bit scratched, so he needs a new coat, but that can wait for now.
This is a close up of the module's interior, featuring some futuristic gismos that were probably never included in the original Eagle (for example, the dashboard from an x-wing starfighter!).
A wider shot of the interior, showing some of the top of the Module too.
The front of the Module - I am very proud of the shape of this, I think it resembles the iconic shape of the Eagle very nicely :)
A side view of the Module.
The back view.
And the other side! I ran into a problem while trying to make this side panel, due to the restrictive nature of my Lego collection. Although it is large, it does not have everything I need! I originally intended the corner slopes to all be grey, but I had to use two of the four that I own to create the window frame at the front of the module. So I improvised and found a black one and a sand coloured one. It's not perfect, but you can imagine what it was supposed to look like.
This is the top of the ladder, which also caused me a few problems. At first I just attached it to the top of the Descent Stage, but that caused it to stick out way too far, and it didn't follow the shape of the landing gear. So I found a way to hang it on the top of the strut and secured it in place with a small piece of Technic Lego.
A close up shot of the window. I'm so proud of it!
And lastly, this is the landing strut. This took a few attempts to work out the correct angles and joints needed, and this was the final result.