A journal where I will post WIP and behind-the-scenes pictures, as well as instructions for designs used in the MOCs that I am working on. This journal will (hopefully) be updated frequently, so be sure to check back now and then!
About this creation
Last Update: 18/06/17.
I thought it would be neat to show you how I go about creating some of my MOCS, as I've always been highly interested with seeing how others build their creations. I hope you enjoy!
MELO 2017 Round 3:
Here's a few pics of how I set up my MELO Round 3 entry, and also a few more pics of the eagle. Enjoy!
MELO 2017 Round 2:
Here's a few pics I took while building my entry for Round 2. Enjoy!
Always need a solid base! You'll notice the recessed area for the cheese mosaic near the front.
Very first layout - trying to get the dimensions correct.
Couple more pics of some closer details.
MELO 2017 Round 1:
Here are some behind the scenes pics of my latest build, Barrels out of Bond for the 2017 Middle Earth Lego Olympics. Enjoy!
The MOC is completely modular because I built it in stages.
The cave/rocks was built first.
Some useless detailing on this floor, I know, but I wanted to have proper beams.
This part was the hardest to design, even though it is by far the smallest.
I added some antlers in for wall decoration, as well as a map of Mirkwood.
A little bit of rockwork from the cellar wall, with the supporting arch, repurposed from a tree root, jutting out.
And the wine shelves. They are my favourite part, and also the first thing I built. I think the PU of the technic pins for packing straw worked pretty well.
A scale model of something coming soon!
A couple small vigs I threw together while "cleaning up". Didn't think they warranted their own MOC, so I posted 'em here.
Zirakzigil, where Gandalf defeated the Balrog.
And a certain Black Gate.... :)
MELO Round 3:
I was super rushed on this, so I didn't manage any WIP shots. However, I took a few bonus pics as I was disassembling it and posted them here. Also, I posted pictures and instructions on how to made my reversed-stud pillar. I hope you enjoy!
Reversed-stud Pillar Instructions:
Here is the pillar in its finished state.
The top section removed from the bottom. They should be fairly easy to copy; nothing fancy at all, really.
The method for attaching the top to the bottom. You could use a Technic syster, but this method is easier, quicker and just as strong.
Basically, in order to attach the top to the bottom, build a 1x1 cylinder column in the hollow part of each section, being sure to align the sides. Next, place a lighsaber blade (used as a pin) partially into one column and gently place the top section on it.
This is what it should look like. Now, just push the top down and behold your pillar!
Now, you might be thinking, "Mark, you are crazy. The top is just going to swing around and won't line up properly." Well, remember that 1x2 brick on the back of the top section? It is there to "lock" or stabilize the top section on the bottom and prevent any motion.
This picture of the back of the pillar illustrates this. It is hollow to save bricks primarily, but it is also necessary in order for the technique to work. Here you can see how the stabilizer brick is positioned in order to keep the top section from lurching around.
There you have it! I hope this will be handy for you in the future!
MELO Round 2:
I didn't take many WIP pics while building for round 2, but I did take a couple of the base and Balin. Enjoy!
MELO Round 1:
The following pictures are progress shots from my round 1 entry. Since I built it over Christmas, I had time to document and take photos of my progress fairly often. So here is and in-depth view of my building evolution and style.
The main structure starts to form....
Working on the cheese carpet. This was pretty tricky, but fun!
The "floor plan".
My infamous green screen technology. ;)
The furniture came next.
Here you can see my setup for the FP and the pics.
A lighting test, which I later didn't use.
And here is a look at how I built the windows. This is one of three designs I used for the round windows and doors. The second uses half technic pins to attach two arches, and the other uses gravity and math. ;)