The Pz.Sfl. V was an experimental World War II German self-propelled anti-tank gun.
About this creation
It was based on the Henschel VK3001 chassis and both armed with a Rheinmetall 12.8 cm K L/61 gun (based on the 12.8 cm FlaK 40).
This gun could traverse 7° to each side, elevate 10° and depress -15°. It carried 15 rounds for the main gun
The chassis was left over from Henschel's submission for the canceled VK3001 heavy tank program, but the hull was stretched and an extra road wheel added to accommodate the large gun, which was mounted on a pedestal ahead of the engine. A large, open-topped, fighting compartment was built where the turret was intended to go in the original design.
Two vehicles (named Max and Moritz) were built, both of which served on the Eastern Front. One vehicle was destroyed, the other captured at Stalingrad in January 1943, with 22 kill marks painted on the barrel. This captured vehicle is now displayed in the collection on the Kubinka Tank Museum.
The Pz.Sfl. V was also known as "Sturer Emil," German for "stubborn Emil"
Weight - 35 tons
Length - 9.7 meters
Width - 3.16 m
Height - 2.7 m
Crew - 5
Armor - 15-50 mm
Main armament 1x 12.8 cm PaK 40 L/61
Speed - 25 km/h