I've started to do this with a few MOCs from time to time, to give me a chance to review my own creations objectively and make various suggestions for changes I might make, but also to look at what works and really needs to stay if possible.
I'll structure it as much as possible in the form of a review.
Techniques - This is basically a combination of my CyberAgent techniques combined with some ideas I've seen used by various builders from Andrew Humph-Free to Chris Roach, Forte Noir to MoodSwim and while non of these designs are based on their creations, I'd be churlish not to at least mention them as inspiration.
Proportions - From the front I think I've got the humanoid proportions pretty close. In real life an adult human male's leg is the same length as his torso and his arms rest at his hips. All too often I see robot designs (including my own) where the hands rest on the knees of thighs. Nope, should be about one hand span longer than the hip bone from fist to shoulder. The shoulders are quite wide to accommodate space for the air intakes, I'm pretty sure this makes them a tad too wide, but maybe not grotesquely so. The head is in proportion though I'll be the first to say the waist is scarily thin.
It's from the side that the proportions fall down and really badly. The head and chest are very thin and give them a curious anorexic look I'm not sure I want.
As was pointed out in the comments, the wings need to be longer and wider.
Detail - At this scale, without resorting to stickers or minifig heads, you aren't going to get an exact match to the Hasbro toy. But I think the heads say "Seeker" reasonably well. The Null Rays I'm most proud of, they turned out really well. I'm still humming and ahhing about the cockpit colours and shape.
Limitations - Thanks to an ankle tilt and the extensive use of t-bar joints, these figures can hold a surprisingly wide range of poses. But, compared to the previous designs in this range, they are limited in the legs and waist area. Without making them VERY tall or weirdly lanky, I'm struggling to imagine where to make changes. (as I mentioned below I intend to place them next to the Prowl figure and if they are shorter I'll add the extra joints).
In conclusion - Definitely there needs to be more bulk to the chest or simply draw in the shoulders to make a more pleasing side on appearance. The waist area might benefit from a retooling and the knees and possibly the elbows could use extending if this can be achieved without destroying the overall proportions.
I've been brainstorming ideas for a Starscream figure for a few days, but while I narrow down some transformation ideas I thought I'd add a quick update to my "Action Master" series.
For anyone unfamiliar with the concept, the Action Masters were action figure versions of the characters from Generation One that were non-transforming figures, roughly the same size as the smaller GI Joe / Action Force figures. Their look was a hybrid of the cartoon models with some nods to the original toys.
This ISN'T intended to be a copy of the actual Action Master Starscream, a number of changes have been made. I'll edit the moc to include various links when I have time later.
Obviously, when I have a few minutes, I'm going to do some repaints for Thundercracker and Skywarp. The "Conehead" seekers may come later when I design a new head.
Apologies for any errors here, but I'm back on the Ipad and the spell checker in safari is rubbish.
My plan later is to include some comparison images with the previous "action master" designs, but even without viewing them side by side I can already spot some differences. Originally i designed Prowl with a double waist hinge and knee hinge, this effectively means Screamer has fewer joints. However, the torso and shin designs are completely different, I suspect this makes them roughly the same height. I'll demonstrate this later.
I've taken a couple of hours this afternoon creating another completely new set of Seekers with greater articulation, larger wings and "Coneheads" (aka Ramjet, Dirge and Thrust). I'm going to compare them with Prowl/Bluestreak first to make sure they are definitely in the same scale before putting them up on my mocpages gallery.
I have however taken them back to basics, therefore they will NOT look like this group (which in hindsight I'm not sure are quite right, I'll post my "morning after" thoughts above).