- Original color theme (bonus for including a fluorescent color: neon green, neon orange, trans medium blue, trans bright green)
- A main base complete with garage (+ rover) and hangar/launch pad/whatever (+ scooter/small craft)(NOT a diorama, up to 1k pieces)
- One medium size air/space craft (2 to 3 hundred pieces) and one small size land craft/mecha (100 to 150 pieces), all in theme.
- One medium-large size enemy land vehicle, with a different theme, easy to tell apart. Must be able to deploy one or more flying vehicles (3 to 6 hundred pcs).
- One minifig per vehicle, plus 1 or 2 to man the space base, preferably in theme.
- Must have modular functions, with recognizable parts interchangeable between individual builds.
- Must have that "could be an actual set" feeling we love in space MOCs, bonus for a "I'd buy the sheet out of this if it was a real set" vibe.
As you can probably tell, I bombed on most of the requirements. The reason was three dirty little words: a four-letter word beginning with "L", a three-letter word beginning with "J" and a six-letter word beginning with "F". If you don't know what they are, you are either lucky or stupid. This was supposed to be some kind of crystal-mining faction, with crystal-stealing enemies. Overall I dislike what I made, the only things I really liked are the main base windows, enemy vehicle treads and the minifigures. About the only reason I uploaded this heap of half-baked ideas was to sorta kinda be able to bow out with a moderatum of grace.
Don't bother commenting unless you want to, I know it's bad and doesn't deserve anything.
That's a really good start IMO, if you ever want to finish this. I think you're on to something with the shape of the buildings, perhaps you could "mix" the three modules into a more impressive base, and work a bit on the color scheme? I feel it's a bit dull... The tank and color scheme for "the enemy" are really cool, so is the mini VV! Too bad you couldn't finish this... Congrats for making it that far!
Hey X, thanks for posting even though you aren't satisfied with the outcome. Like you say, the big 3 have to come ahead of Lego sometimes. Also I agree with Matt - I think there's some great potential here. The minifigs are cool, and I really like the tank design, especially the way you've done the tracks. I'm just relieved I was drawn against you in this category rather than the last round!
I like it
April 25, 2014
In all actuality, X, this is what I'd call a great start. It has a tremendous amount of potential, but as you know, it just isn't fully realized. The purple and grey is actually an awesome combination of colors especially with the black accents. The tank is a winner. Great design with awesome playability. I wouldn't sell yourself short on this but I think Stuart has the advantage with a fully visualized and realized moc. As I said, it is a great start and worthy of expanding on. Don't toss it in the bin just yet. ;) The task was daunting to say the least, I think if you had a driving story behind it, it would have really flowed. Still a great job and I still wish you the best of luck!