I designed this model digitally first using Bricklink's Stud.io 2.0 software.
The AAT model in EA Star Wars Battlefront 2 game was used as perfect reference as it can be viewed from any angle.
The project took about 4 months to complete, until I had a working brick built model on my desk.
The AAT is particularly difficult to work with in Lego, because of the massive overhang from the main body, making it unbalanced.
I solved this problem by using technic liftarms which extends below the model, adding plenty of support and preserving the aesthetics as well as raising the structure, so it looks like it floats
Here are the features of the MOC:
• 850 parts for the tan version.(Yes the CIS version is coming, stay tuned)
• Lego parts price is roughly 160-170 USD.
• Main turret spins 360 degrees and gun barrel can pivot. Fully openable top hatch, and room for a folded up Commander Battle Droid, with the hatch closed.
• Openable front hatch section, with room for a Pilot Battle Droid (driver)
• Can carry two Infantry Battle Droids on each side.
• Stud-shooter torpedo tubes.