4-8-8-4 "Mallet" Steam Locomotive, Versions 2 & 3 . My second and third Mallet compound steam engines. . These are Versions Two and Three of my 4-8-84 Mallet Locomotives. They use the same base, cab, and tender, which is why I have only a few photos of Version Two. The big and noticeable difference between the two is the boiler. Version Three has some extra details added in, which will be pointed out. Other than that they are basically the same.
While finishing Version Three, I realized that I wanted my personal steam locomotive to be even bigger, meaner, tougher, and more powerful. So I threw the 4-8-8-4 design out the window and went with something ridiculous. So, again, neither of these are my personal locomotive.
This is Version Two. The boiler is much bulkier than Version One or Three. It looks mean and tough, but it is a tad too bland for my quest of the ultimate steam locomotive. I am crazy, I know. Thank you.
A more detailed look at the front. The bottom two lights are able to accept the Power Functions Light.
The rear end of Version Two. A ladder and rear light are featured on the tender.
This is Version Three. After I built Two and did not like the look of the boiler, I ripped off the boiler and added something a tad more traditional. The result is a sleeker design that looks much more general purpose.
The front end of Three. In addition to the bottom lights, the top lights are also able to be lit.
The rear end of Three. The tender has the added railings on top, which break up the bland design of Two.
The front features a number board on each side, although they are hidden from side view by the cowlings. The cowlings are the same from Version One. I liked the cowlings from One, so I decided to use them again.
The lead truck is a Power Functions Train Motor and articulates from the front set of drive wheels. This marks motor number one.
The front set of drive wheels. I added more details to Three than I did on Two. Two simply has the upper pipes, while Three has the added single pipe detail in the middle and some added piston detail. The pistons on Two and Three are significantly larger than One. As stated on One, a larger locomotive needs larger pistons.
The rear set of drive wheels and the trail truck. The trail truck is also a motor, making the current count at two.
A side view of the cab. The original design came from jd davis. I made a few interior and exterior modifications.
The back view of the cab. On both Two and Three I changed a few items on the inside, such as a spot for the power cables to be run through. Two has basic steps on the back, while Three has more detailed steps and the bars on the side.
The tender, once again, uses the 3 axle trucks by Mike Kollross. I have become quite fond of this truck design and will use it extensively in the future. The tender marks the final two motors, making Versions Two and Three have four motors. That should be a lot of hauling power.
The top of the tender is removed to reveal the interior. Inside is plenty of room for a Battery Box in the front section, an IR Receiver in the middle, and a Control Switch in the rearmost section (if it is needed to ensure that the motors run the same direction).
A photo of Version Three showing off her articulation. For a large locomotive, she can turn quite well.
As per request by jd davis, here is a front group photo of my two large locomotives and his two Big Boys.
Another group shot.
A top view shows that my two are longer than his freight locomotive, but not quite as long as his passenger one. I will get you next time, jd!
A side view. If you look closely, you can see that Version Two is the tallest. At least I win this round.
A final parting shot featuring the four large locomotives.
I would like to give a special thank you to jd davis for his help and advice in designing these locomotives. They were very fun to build, especially since I wanted to see if in what ways I could outdo jd. Yes, I am starting a friendly competition, which is just a mere obstacle in my quest for the ultimate steam locomotive. [Insert "Evil Laugh" Here]
Also, thanks to Trevor Young for his advice that he gave me on my Failed Locomotive Design. I had found the 3 axle design earlier, but his comment solidified my decision to use it.